28 year old new to the Cerelle pill

bleeding

Hey @Dr_Paula,

I would really appreciate some help if possible!

I have recently started taking the Cerelle pill and am currently on my 3rd strip from my first pack. Since completing the 1st strip/starting the 2nd and around the time my period would have been, I have been experience spotting and breakthrough bleeding. It is near enough non-existent for the most part and is often only noticed when wiping. It is mostly brown in colour so am assuming it’s old blood. I am up to date on my smear tests, STI tests and am not pregnant.

The reason I’m posting is to ask if this is normal and how long should I go on like this before I revisit my local clinic and look at other options. I know from other posts that spotting can be normal but naturally it’s a little worrying.

Hope you can help! Thank you!

Hello @holls

You can see from the stats below that this is very common indeed.

It sounds like you have checked out other obvious causes.

Most clinics will say try for 3 months to see whether it settles - it may well settle. They usually say that at the same time as they do an examination to check for other causes - so it is slightly difficult for me to give similar advice online.

Here are the figures on how common irregular bleeding is on the desogestrel containing POP

Bleeding patterns on the mini pill are quite variable. Using a mini-pill containing desogestrel bleeding patterns are like this:
● 5 in 10 women can expect to have no bleeding or infrequent bleeding
● 4 in 10 women can expect to have 3–5 bleeding spotting/episodes in 3 months
● 1 in 10 women can expect 6 bleeding/spotting episodes in 3 months
● 2 in 10 women will experience bleeding/spotting episode lasting 14 days (prolonged
bleeding

Many thanks

Paula