A want to be steralised

Hi,

I am a 26 year old transgender male and I have booked myself an appointment with a gynecologist to discuss sterilization. I have been living as a male for a few years now and I have a male partner. We have both had the discussion about procedures to ensure I won’t get pregnant. I believe that it would be very bad for my mental health if I were to become pregnant and don’t want to ever have to deal with the stressful issue of discussing abortions.

I already know I don’t want to have children past fur babies, and if I was ever to change my mind I am very confident that adopting would be my way forward.

I just wondered if this would be ‘good enough’ reason to be accepted for this procedure.

Thanks

Hi!

I don’t have any personal experience of trying to get a serilization, but from my understanding you should be able to get one if you are sure you want one.
Apparently they can refuse you if they feel it’s not in you best interest, I would assume this means if they think it is a rash decision or you are being pressured into the decision by someone else?
It says you will “offered the opportunity to discuss your choices before you commit to having the procedure” if you are under 30, which for me sounds like youc an still do it if you are under 30 but might have to go through some extra steps before hand. @Dr_Paula do you have any knowledge on this?

Hope that helps a bit!

Hello @Ariksnow

Many thanks for your question.

Sounds like you have thought extremely carefully about this and of course it is a ‘good enough’ reason to be accepted for this procedure.

Having said that, your gynaecologist will probably be a big concerned about doing a sterilisation on someone under the age of 30. This is because some people do regret the sterilisation procedure - usually because their lives have changed in a way that they did not predict e.g. a new relationship with someone who would like to have children. So gynaecologists are trained to be cautious. They might suggest a long term method of contraception instead which is clearly not what you want, but it would reflect their concern.

I think it might be helpful to do some planning in advance of the appointment.

This could include - going to the appointment with your partner as this is a decision that will affect both of you. It could also include going to your local trans clinic and asking whether there is a gynaecologist who is supportive. It is something that is commonly discussed and they are likely to be able to refer you.

Would this be possible for you at all?

Many thanks

Paula

Hi,

The plan is to go with my partner. We’ve discussed it at length on multiple occasions. I’m not currently involved in any trans clinic due to being unable to transition physically.