Did anybody experience a blood clot using the combined pill?

I was thinking about starting the combined pill. Did anybody experience any blood clots from it? Would you mind sharing your experience? I read that the risk is small, but I am really worried.

Hello @alemo

There is good research evidence on how often people on the combined pill experience a blood clots in the legs or the lung in comparison with the general population. It is important to be clear that these are blood clots that happen inside a vein and therefore block blood flow through that vein leading to serious problems. Not to be confused with the blood clots that happen when you have heavy periods.

People on the combined pill are 3 or 3.5 times more likely to get a blood clot than those who do not use combined oral contraception. But it is really important to know that the risk of blood clots among young healthy women is very low indeed - so even 3 times a very small risk is still a very small risk.

Women of reproductive age who do not use the plil have a risk of blood clots of 2 per 10,000 women per year.
Women of reproductive age who take the combined pill have a risk of blood clots of 5-12 per 10,000 women per year.
The risk of blood clots is also higher during pregnancy.

In my clinical practice I have counselled thousands of women about the risk of thrombosis and told them what to look out for. But I think it really makes a difference to hear it from people who have actually experienced this. If you have experienced a blood clot on the pill or during pregnancy then I think it would really help others to know what happened, how you realised that something was wrong, what happened when you went to see a health care professional about it, how it was treated and how it resolved.

Many thanks

Paula