Discharge

Hi, iv had the copper coil in now coming up to 4 years. For the last 5/6months now before I start my period iv been getting an offensive smelling discharge. Is this normal?
I am in a stable relationship and have been for 9 years

Hello @Net1

Many thanks for your question.

Anyone who has a smelly discharge should have a test for sexually transmitted infections, just in case as they can stay in your body for many years with no symptoms.

Having said that your symptoms sound more like bacterial vaginosis. This is a common condition that is an imbalance of the bacteria that are supposed to be in the vagina, but the discharge changes when some types over grow. Some people find this happens near to their periods and some people find it is more common when they have a coil.

Left untreated it usually resolves but it can be treated with antibiotics - either oral or in the vagina. The problem is that we don’t know what causes it and it can come back.

Maybe the best thing is to go to a sexual health clinic where they can take a sample and look at it under a microscope. This enables them to give a diagnosis of BV immediately.

BV is not a sexually transmitted infection. You cannot catch it or pass it on to anyone else.

Many thanks

Paula