Forced to do counciling for Vasectomy

I am 45 years old, have 3 children with ages of 20, 4 and 1 years old. I quite categorically do not want any more children. I had a telephone chat with my GP and we discussed the implications of different scenarios and I still was adamant to progress with the Vasectomy. A few days later I recieved a letter from a Vasectomy Clinic in a different county (approx 25 miles away) just for a counciling session. My procedure will take place less than 2 miles away from my home. Not only do I believe this to be not required but I also loose a days pay. The NHS is struggling to run financially so why do they haemorrhage money this way? I would like to know if it is mandatory for me to have to attend?

Hello @Marc_Carey

I am so sorry to be slow replying to this.

I think the answer is that it will depend on your local health system.

Normally at the vasectomy counselling session they will do the following:

1. Check that you are completely sure about your decision and make sure that you are comfortable with it. They will emphasise that it is not reversible and also discuss some unlikely scenarios - e.g. if you were in a new relationship etc.

2. They will examine you to ensure that there will be no difficulty with the operation. They just need to make sure that the vas deferens is easy to access and that there are no abnormalities e.g. hernias.

3. They will give you more information about what will happen during and after the operation.

So, some of it could be done on the phone - but not the examination. Twenty five miles does seem like a very long way to go to have this appointment. It may be worth discussing this with your GP. There may be an alternative place who will do it, for example sometimes it is done in local sexual health clinics or occasionally a GP practice.

Maybe book a telephone appointment with your GP and talk it through with them in terms of alternative referral options.

Hope helpful and apologies for being so slow to respond.

Many thanks

Paula