HPV - Anxiety

Tested positive for HPV from my smear. I had a colposcopy and nothing was mentioned about any moles or skin tags, but I am starting to feel overly anxious about one particular spot that could be a wart/s and it is proving difficult to get any access or help from local clinic or GP surgery. Really freaking out and unsure what to do. @Dr_Paula

Hello @shamu

If you are concerned about a lesion then it is important that you see your GP or local sexual health clinic. Both services are now seeing people face-to-face but usually after an initial telephone consultation.

So probably the best thing to do is to call them up and explain the situation and they should make you an appointment.

Hope helpful

Paula

Thank you. I did manage to see a Dr. I am just being paranoid, but I didn’t get the opportunity to discuss my anxiety over HPV and home testing in between smears. I’m not sure why, but it seems so difficult to get support about HPV. For something that is so common, I had never heard of it before. It has never been mentioned during any of my STI tests, I just feel stupid.

Hello @shamu

I think that is part of the difficulty - HPV is so common - almost everyone who is sexually active will get it at some time. It is also confusing because there are so many types. The types that cause visible genital warts are very different from the types that cause abnormalities on your cervical smear.

The important thing to remember is that you have had colposcopy, so someone has taken a really careful look at your cervix and has completed the appropriate treatment. Most people who have serious problems are those who do not attend for smears and then the issue goes untreated.

Hope helpful

Paula