IUD change in string length

@Dr_Paula I had an IUD inserted 4 weeks ago, nothing really has caused concern. I’ve been bleeding almost constantly and have had on and off cramps which I’ve put down to my body getting used to it. What has worried me though is that I checked my strings 2 weeks in and everything seemed fine (felt about 2cm or so long) but I checked today and I can only feel one just about poking out the cervix. Is this something I need to be concerned about/get checked out? I suffer with a bit of health anxiety so am worrying about the worst case scenario of it perforating my uterus!

Hello @Belle

You should be due your IUD check at 4-6 weeks. Do you have an appointment for this? Would it be a good idea to push this forward a little? It might be a good idea to get it checked out.

Many thanks

Paula

Hi @Dr_Paula,
Thanks for getting back to me. I wasn’t offered a routine check up but have booked in to have it checked out next week. Do I need to be worried in the mean time?

Hello @Belle

Great that you have got an appointment for next week.

It is difficult for me to give clinical advice on this forum.

I can only tell me the things that I would be thinking about if I saw you in clinic. It is common for the threads to stick together so you may well have 2 threads there. It sounds as though they are the same length as when you felt them a couple of weeks ago.

All this is reassuring.

Many thanks

Paula