Non-gonococcal urethritis


Hi there, my boyfriend has been tested positive for an NGU ( Non-gonococcal urethritis ) which I’ve never heard of before. The doctor he saw has told me that I need to be taking medication as well due to the fact that we have had a lot of unprotected sex, and is very highly likely I have the NGU as well. I was just wondering if you had a little information about what an NGU is and how I get the medication To treat it as after looking up effects it has, as it has no symptoms in women, if left untreated, can cause a lot of problems,

Many thanks,


Hello @hannah
NGU means that the clinic would have taken a sample of the discharge from the penis and looked at it under the microscope which is a test that can be done immediately without waiting for it to be sent to the laboratory. If they see signs of inflammation but no gonorrhoea then they assume that an infection might be present and diagnose NGU. The commonest cause of NGU is chlamydia - but you can’t see chlamydia under the microscope. They probably sent a separate test for chlamydia to the lab, so those results should be available soon.

Chlamydia is a common infection that can cause problems, but mostly does not. It is still important to treat it. The first thing to do is to contact your local sexual health service by phone and explain the situation and they will sort out treatment.

Many thanks