Oral chlamydia

Hi @Dr_Paula

I ordered one of the STI kits as I have recently got a new partner. However, since ordering the kit I have had a text message from an ex partner that I had unprotected oral sex with stating he has tested positive for chlamydia (we didn’t have penetrative sex). As I have had unprotected oral and penetrative sex with my new partner, if I did catch chlamydia orally from my old partner would I have then passed it to my new partner orally which has now been passed to me vaginally? I wanted to do the STI test to ensure myself and my new partner are clean but I’m wondering if it’s best if I do the swab vaginally or orally. What do you think is best and will get the most accurate result?

Many thanks!

Hello @J123

Thanks for your question. It would definitely be a good idea to do a vaginal chlamydia swab. If an oral chlamydia swab is also offered by the service that you use then it would be a good idea to do that too. Sometimes people have chlamydia just in the throat, but as you say, very often they have genital infection too.

Many thanks

Paula

Thanks for your reply @Dr_Paula

The kit only has a vaginal swab in it but I did see on someone else’s question that this swab can also be used orally so I didn’t know whether to use it as a oral swab instead. But as I’ve now had unprotected sex would you say it’s better to do use the swab vaginally?

Many thanks for getting back to me :slight_smile:

Hello J123

I think it is better to do the vaginal sway.

Many thanks

Paula

Okay, thank you very much for getting back to me @Dr_Paula, I really appreciate it :slight_smile: