Pain peeing after vaginal swab test

Hi,

I just did an STI test. I’ve only had sex with one person and we broke up nearly a year and a half ago, I’ve not been sexually actively since. He had been sexually actively before but said he didn’t have anything and I was on the pill so we didn’t use condoms. I want to have a test just to check he wasn’t lying and didn’t have anything. I’ve put it off for a while but did it today and it was a little painful (I’ve not had intercourse since). Now it hurts when I pee and is painful like a UTI feeling. Is it just because I am sore and haven’t had intercourse since so this caused a reaction and pain? Or should I be worried!

Hello @Xbbx

Apologies, I am a bit slow in replying this week.

Doing the swab should not be painful at all and it should not cause a UTI type feeling.

The swab is inserted into the vagina which is flexible and easily able to accommodate the swab and it would not normally come in contact with the urinary tract to cause an infection.

I think if you are experiencing UTI type symptoms then this may be a coincidence and should be something that you discuss with your doctor.

Many thanks

Paula

Hi I am in almost exactly the same boat. Did you ever find out what caused the pain? Or how to fix it?

I have exactly the same problem! I feel so stupid! I probably did the swab wrong! Do you mind sharing your experience, please?? For how long did it hurt? It’s been just a couple or hours ago and I can’t handle it anymore.

Also, were the results of your test compromised because of this? Did you have to do it again?

Thank you!