Period on implant

@drpaula
I’m coming up to the end of my 2nd year with the implant & I started having a period that lasted over a week, is this normal? Do period patterns change part way through?

Hello @evedeighton

Many thank for your question.

Yes, period patterns can change part way through the implant.

If you continue to have irregular bleeding then it is always worth checking for other causes (a sexual health test, a pregnancy test and making sure that you are up to date with your smear). If all these are normal then it is really about what is acceptable to you.

The annoying thing is that it may settle down and it may not - it is very difficult to predict.

Many thanks

Paula

Hello I had my nexplanon inserted on the 22nd of last month I was due for my period this Saturday I started spotting this Saturday the 30th for three days and today is supposed to be the 5th day of my period and it just has completely gone away I just wanna make sure that this is normal or should I be worried???

Hello @Lopezjasmine101216

Irregular bleeding is very common on the implant, in fact most people do not have a regular period on this method of contraception.

Having said that, everyone with irregular bleeding should just check a pregnancy test, a test for sexually transmitted infections and make sure that they are up to date with their smear tests. These are other causes of bleeding that we usually like to check before putting it down to the implant.

Many thanks

Paula