Periods on mini pill (Cerelle)?

bleeding
contraception
side-effects
mini-pill
progestagen-only-pill

Hi!

I started my first pack of the Cerelle mini pill a couple of weeks ago, after being off the Microgynon 30 combined pill for about 4 months. My doctor told me that I shouldn’t get periods on the mini pill, and my next one was due a week after starting the pack. My period came and I had heavy bleeding for 7 days, and the period lasted for 10 days in total, which is a lot longer than usual for me. I am wondering why I got my period if they’re not meant to come at all on this mini pill, and if they will continue to come every month, or if it only came because it was my first week back on any kind of birth control? @Dr_Paula

Thank you! :blush:

Hello @bobs146

Your doctor is not quite right that your periods will stop on the mini pill. Bleeding patterns on this pill are highly variable. After 12 months of use:

● 5 in 10 women can expect to have no bleeding or infrequent bleeding
● 4 in 10 women can expect to have 3–5 bleeding spotting/episodes (regular)
● 1 in 10 women can expect >6 bleeding/spotting episodes (frequent bleeding).
In addition:
● 2 in 10 women will experience bleeding/spotting episode lasting more than 14 days (prolonged
bleeding).

Anyone with irregular bleeding should consider checking a sexual health test, a pregnancy test and make sure that they are up to date with their smear tests.

Hope helpful.

Paula