Spotting with the implant

bleeding

Hi Dr Paula, I wonder if you could help me. I currently have the implant fitted (since July 2019) and before this I was on the contraceptive injection for 4 years. My periods stopped pretty soon after getting my injections started. Last week Thursday I started bleeding and today is the first day I haven’t bled at all. It was very light but I had very bad cramps with it. My periods were not very regular before I started getting the contraceptive injection, but is this normal to have a period after 5 years of not having one and being on these types of contraception? Thanks!

Hello @Mollie96

It might be normal. If we saw you in clinic we would normally recommend a pregnancy test, an infection screen and to make sure that you are up to date with your smear tests - just to exclude any other obvious causes.

Hope helpful

Paula

Hi Dr Paula, thanks for your response! I’ve taken a pregnancy test and it came back negative. I’ve ordered the screening test kit too so just waiting for that to arrive and I’m 23, so not able to have a smear test just yet. I will come back to you if I have any other questions. Thanks!