Switch from Cilest combined pill to implant

combined-pill

I’m 44 and have been taking the Cilest combined pill with no negative side effects such as break through bleeding, mood swings, cramps etc, for over 20 years. I’m not overweight, have never smoked, and have normal blood pressure, however my GP has now recommended that I come off the combined pill. I’ve looked at the alternative options and think that the implant might be best suited to me. I’m keen to understand the impact the switch may have on me by switching from combined hirmones to progesterone only especially given my age and where my natural hormone levels would be. Has anyone else switched from cilest to the implant; and if so did you have any side effects?

Hello @Dawn

Many thanks for your question.

Happy to hear from others about their experience of this switch.

It may also be important to know that there is no medical reasons why you should change from the combined pill because of your age.

As long as you do not smoke or have any other contraindications to the combined pill then the guidance from the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health Care is that you can stay on the combined pill until you are 50.

Hope this is helpful.

Paula